Saturday, April 2, 2011

Butterless Butter Chicken

Oh, my goodness, I'm stuffed. I don't think that "larapin'" is an Indian word, but I just cooked a rendition of a recipe my sister told me about and larapin' was the only way to describe it. Heather lived in Deli, India for a two years working with college students. She frequently serves this meal and receives praises and requests for recipes. I found that it was especially good while listening to Baaba Maal on Pandora.

You can find Butter Chicken at any Indian restaurant in the world. Here is an easy way to do this quintessential Indian cuisine without the health drawbacks of butter.

Photo was retrieved from: http://www.noshkosh.com/FoodPhotos/butter%20chicken.jpg on 04/02/2011

4 Tbs olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, pressed
1 can of tomato sauce
1 cup of plain yogurt
3 boneless, skinless chicken breast cut to bite size
1 Tbs turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp +/- ground ginger
1 tsp ground red chili pepper
Salt and black pepper

Heat the oil in a dutch oven and saute the onion and garlic over medium heat.
When the onions are translucent, add the turmeric, garam masala, red pepper, salt and pepper, and ginger.
Stir together to form a paste.
Stir in tomato sauce, yogurt, and chicken.
Simmer on low until the chicken is done.

Serve immediately over cooked rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment